Deadline: Open until filled. The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a Research Fellow or Senior Research Fellow for a three-year, fixed-term, renewable appointment in its Environment, Production and Technology Division to work on research activities for the CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS). This position will report to the program leader at IFPRI, and will conduct research on the financial and institutional mechanisms that enhance the practice of climate change mitigation in agriculture and agricultural landscapes. Particular attention should be given to practices that have the potential to improve farmers' productivity and livelihoods and ecosystem services, the economics of mitigation practices, the role of the private sector and REDD finance and activities to sustainable agricultural intensification. This position is located at IFPRI’s headquarters in Washington DC, but will involve travel to countries where IFPRI and CCAFS carries out their research.
· Lead and conduct research on how finance can be used to support incentives, compensation schemes, and institutional mechanisms for large-scale climate change mitigation among smallholder farmers in developing countries;· Develop a network of related research and policy partners to addresses the problem of payments for climate-related services;
· Work closely with donor and senior government stakeholders on the financial aspects of agricultural programs and projects;
· Publish research in peer-review publications as well as communicating research to the broader agriculture, climate and finance communities in various forms;
· Contributing to the preparation of internal and external program reviews;
· PhD in economics, finance, development studies or a related field;
· Knowledge of climate finance mechanisms, public expenditure and public finance, and payments for ecosystem services;
· Familiarity with climate change mitigation practices in agriculture;
· Experience in working in the finance and agricultural sectors in developing countries;
· 3-7+ years of post-PhD experience relevant to the job (relevant experience will be used for Research Fellow versus Senior Research Fellow classification);
· Demonstrated ability to critically assess own and others’ research;
· Excellent publication record in peer-reviewed journals:
· Demonstrated leadership in developing global research programs for policy recommendations;
· Major external recognition within peer professional network due to publications and other leaderships activities;
· Demonstrated experience in effective interactions in a multicultural and international development setting with other researchers and with policymakers, donors, and civil society, facilitating impact of research and capacity strengthening;
· Willingness to travel extensively as required;
· Excellent written and spoken English communication skills with demonstrated excellence in written and oral presentations;
· Demonstrated leadership skills and strong experience building and managing teams;
· Fundraising experience.
About the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI)
IFPRI is one of the international agricultural research institutes organized under the umbrella of The Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). The mandate of IFPRI is to identify and analyze alternative national and international strategies and policies for meeting world food needs in ways that conserve the natural resource base, with emphasis on low income and on the poorer groups in the countries. IFPRI offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits. IFPRI is an international and equal opportunity organization and believes that diversity of its staff contributes to excellence. We encourage women and developing country professionals to apply.
How to Apply:
All external candidates should apply through IFPRI's career page. The above outlined position is: "Position # 12-107 – RESEARCH FELLOW/SENIOR RESEARCH FELLOW". Please complete on-line application, including a complete curriculum vitae and a detailed letter of interest. Also complete section providing 3 references.
CCAFS Coordinating Unit - University of Copenhagen, Faculty of Science, Department of Plant and Environmental Sciences, Rolighedsvej 21, DK-1958 Frederiksberg C, Denmark, phone +45 35331046; Email ccafs [at] cgiar [dot] org, EAN 5790000279012
Lead Center - International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT)