The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) is the world’s premier research organization dedicated to reducing poverty and hunger through rice science; improving the health and welfare of rice farmers and consumers; and protecting the rice-growing environment for future generations. IRRI is an independent, nonprofit, research and educational institute, founded in 1960 by the Ford and Rockefeller foundations with support from the Philippine government. The institute, headquartered in Los Baños, Philippines, has offices in 17 rice-growing countries in Asia and Africa, and over 1,000 staff.
Climate change impacts rice production through exacerbated and more frequent climate extremes. At the same time rice fields are a large emitter of greenhouse gases. Technologies that reduce the carbon footprint of rice exist but uptake of such technologies is slow. Working with various national and international partners in different projects, IRRI develops strategies to increase the level of adoption of climate-smart technologies in rice production. This task needs a concerted approach of an inter-disciplinary team of experts.
Under the general direction of a Senior Scientist, the postdoctoral fellow will conduct economic analyses and evaluations of institutional settings to support the adoption of climate-smart technologies and practices in the rice value chain of Vietnam. The incumbent will also assist in implementing capacity building and communication advocacy as well as write funding proposals, policy briefs, research reports and scientific articles. The successful candidate will further develop and communicate scientific results to a range of stakeholders including policy makers and assist in monitoring and evaluation of project deliverables.
This position will be based at the IRRI Country Office in Hanoi, Vietnam and is open to international applications.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Work with national research partners and relevant IRRI research groups across disciplines to develop strategies for dissemination and large-scale adoption of low-emissions technologies in rice production
- Analyze complex stakeholder networks along rice value chains and propose solutions for the challenges posed by new developments in the context of climate change
- Perform economic analyses on the cost and benefits of new technologies and farm practices and evaluate target environments as well as farmers’ groups in space and social context
- Develop and evaluate new models that foster enhanced and sustained investment in climate-smart rice production and market access
- Identify opportunities for new fields of research and propose state-of the-art economic and social science to respond to them
- Lead the development of research proposals, scientific publications, communication products, as well as policy products targeting decision makers. This part of the work will include the review of related literature, selection of adequate research tools and sampling methods and verification of suggested methodologies
- Contribute to strengthening the technical capacity of IRRI and its partners to use advanced tools and methods for socio-economic research for policy influence
- Assist in designing and implementing an monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) component for the research project in close collaboration with the MEL cluster hosted in the Agri-food Policy platform
- Work in close collaboration with local partners to design and conduct experiments, gather feedback and ensure relevance of research results to national policy priorities
- Maintain regular contact with the HQ, especially the staff in the Sustainable Impact and Agri-food Policy platforms, as well as other Country Office teams to ensure harmonization with the IRRI strategy and to create and use synergies
- Organize regular meetings with partners and stakeholders including policy makers or advisors to discuss, streamline and implement activities
- Regularly monitor, evaluate, document practices, and derive lessons learned from project implementation and results and provide recommendations to improve research activities/tasks performed internally as well as externally by partner staff
- Help maintain smooth conduct of research as well as to foster a productive working environment
- Interact with the researchers, policymakers and other related stakeholders in Southeast Asia to facilitate project implementation and policy uptake
- When designated by the project leader, represent IRRI in national, regional and international meetings, and coordinate with other IRRI Clusters and Platforms
- Publish scientific articles based on research results in high quality disciplinary and interdisciplinary journals
- Support project team in dissemination of research results through appropriate communication products and channels
- Develop concept notes and proposals to raise funds for additional work in this area
- Prepare and submit updated research outputs including policy briefs as required and in a timely manner
- Document and monitor own progress and achievements
- Perform any other relevant duties as assigned by supervisor from time to time
- PhD in Social Sciences or Economics, preferred disciplines include agricultural economics, environmental economics, development studies, behavioral economics, spatial econometrics or other disciplines which provides suitable advanced knowledge
- Demonstrated ability to perform in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment as well as in a team
- Experience in quantitative socio-economic research in agriculture, the environment and in conducting M&E
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills as well as strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability and willingness to explore and learn new work disciplines
- Excellent verbal and written English language skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Experience working in developing countries in Southeast Asia
- Sound knowledge on greenhouse gas emission and mitigation in agriculture
- Experience in gender research
- Vietnamese language skills
IRRI offers a highly extensive employee benefits package inclusive of globally-covered medical insurance, retirement plan, life and accident insurance and other allowances. Join our team and be part of our story!
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
For more information, please visit: https://irri.org/jobs.