Regional Program Leaders for the CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS) are selected from program participants and partners in a competitive process overseen by the Independent Science Panel, and in consultation with the CCAFS Lead Center Director‐General.
Host Institutions of Regional Program Leaders receive three-year renewable contracts to host these personnel. The performance of Regional Program Leaders is evaluated on an annual basis.
The Program Management Committee for CCAFS is built from selected Theme Leaders and Regional Facilitators, with additional recruits where appropriate.
Terms of reference: Regional Program Leaders
1) To ensure overall regional coherence, and deliver on the regional outcomes. This includes responsibility for:
I. Coherence of the Regional descriptions and workplans
II. Reports and budgets presented to management team
III. Signing off on P&R planning and reporting for all Regional Projects.
2) To provide technical backstopping of projects to ensure quality of outputs and outcomes (reviews of the P&R, checking budgets, supporting inter-Center discussions and planning). On a project-by-project basis RPLs and FLs need to agree on which projects they have overall responsibility for, i.e. when something goes wrong they are held responsible. This does not mean that the other party cannot have some backstopping role. The person with overall responsibility will become the “management liaison” on the project. That person will also have overall responsibility for ensuring communication products from the project.
3) To fund raise for the Region Program Leader budget, with a target of on average USD 1 million per annum and securing one major opportunity per year for one of the Centers participating in CCAFS.
4) Internal communication on all Regional program activities, so that other core team members, appropriate CPs and PLs are familiar with the various plans in the region.
5) To produce and/or facilitate high quality science products and processes.