Flagship Leaders for the CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS) are selected from program participants and partners in a competitive process overseen by the Independent Science Panel, and in consultation with the CCAFS Lead Center Director‐General.
Host Institutions of Flagship Leaders receive three-year renewable contracts to host these personnel. The performance of Flagship Leaders is evaluated on an annual basis.
The Program Management Committee for CCAFS is built from selected Flagship Leaders, with additional recruits where appropriate.
Terms of reference: Flagship Leaders
1) To ensure overall flagship coherence, and deliver on the flagship outcomes. This includes responsibility for:
I. Coherence of the Flagship descriptions and workplans
II. Reports and budgets presented to ISP and Consortium
III. Signing off on P&R planning and reporting for all Flagship Projects.
2) To build strong cross-regional coherence and synergies.
3) To provide technical backstopping of projects to ensure quality of outputs and outcomes (reviews of the P&R, checking budgets, supporting inter-Center discussions and planning). On a project-by-project basis RPLs and FLs need to agree on which projects they have overall responsibility for, i.e. when something goes wrong they are held responsible. This does not mean that the other party cannot have some backstopping role. The person with overall responsibility will become the “management liaison” on the project. That person will also have overall responsibility for ensuring communication products from the project.
4) To fund raise for the Flagship, with a target of on average USD 1 million per annum for the Flagship leader budget and securing one major opportunity per year for one of the Centers participating in CCAFS.
5) To ensure good internal communication on all Flagship activities and meetings team so that other core team members, appropriate CPs and PLs are familiar with the various plans in the Flagship.
6) To produce and/or facilitate high quality science products and processes.