All projects, Regions and Flagships under the CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS), and CCAFS as a whole, have a responsibility to monitor and evaluate their management and progress towards outcomes and impacts.
The figure below shows the “results chain”. Much of the CCAFS assessment work is designed to cover the link between research and outcomes, but there are also impact assessments and various kinds of reviews of management.
There are four different types of impact assessment studies that CCAFS utilizes:
Reviews conducted by donors, the consortium, auditors and the Internal Evaluation Arrangement (IEA)
- EU review of CCAFS (2012) / management response
- Consortium-facilitated partnership survey (2013)
- Internal audit (2015) - forthcoming
- IEA external review (June 2016) / management response
CRP-Commissioned External Reviews (CCERs)
These are commissioned through the CCAFS Independent Steering Committee (ISC) or CIAT Board
1) Management and governance review (2013)
2) Review of CCAFS Theme by region matrix management (2013)
3) Theme 3 review (2014)
Core Team Commissioned Reviews
They are commissioned by the Program Management Committee (PMC), Flagship Leaders, Regional Program Leaders and the Program Management Unit.
1) Theme and topic reviews
- Rassmann K, Schuetz T. 2017. An assessment of the influence of CCAFS' climate data and tools on outcomes achieved 2010-2016. Report from an Outcome Harvesting evaluation
- St Louis B, Gupta V, Roberge G. 2015. CGIAR citations in IPCC reports: a summary report
- Feinstein ON. 2015. Theme 2 review on climate information services activities / management response
- Nelson S, Brown V, Cuellar E, Fox K. 2015. Evaluation of CCAFS Data and Tools
- 2014. Assessment of Shamba Shape Up activities
- Carey C. 2014. Review of CCAFS Scenarios activities
- Climate Futures. 2014. Review of capacity enhancement activities
- East African partnerships. 2014. Forthcoming
2) Reviews on CCAFS/Center claims on outcome successes
- Manfre C, Laytham W. 2018. CIAT case study on data-driven agronomy (USAID Feed the Future)
- Camacho K. 2016. Case study elaborated with the outcome harvesting methodology: Local Technical Agro-climatic Committees
- Nyangaga J. 2016. How CIAT’s climate research informs and influences decision making in IFAD and the cocoa and coffee sector globally: An outcomes validation report
- Georgis K. 2015. Planning national adaptation responses to climate change in Ethiopia (CIMMYT)
- Ekong J. 2015. IITA outcome on coffee-banana systems in East Africa
- Scenarios-facilitated policy outcomes - forthcoming
- Okner T. 2015. CCAFS role in Global Alliance for Climate Smart Agriculture
- Lo HM, Dieng M. 2015. Communicating seasonal climate forecasts in Senegal / management response
- Kalfagianni A, Duyck S. 2015. The evolving role of agriculture in climate change negotiations: Progress and players
- Wilson-Grau R. 2014. Validation Report: outcome stories for CIAT-CCAFS projects in Colombia during 2014 / management response
Center-commissioned reviews, including impact studies as required by the contract between CIAT and participating Centers
Aryal JP, Mehrotra MB, Jat ML, Sidhu HS. 2015. Impacts of laser land leveling in rice–wheat systems of the north–western indo-gangetic plains of India. Food Security.
Blundo Canto G, Perez L, Zuluaga Gonzalez V, Läderach P. 2015. CIAT research on improving livelihoods of smallholder coffee producers in Nicaragua / management response
Abdoulaye T, Bamire AS, Akinola AA, Etwire PM. 2017. Smallholder farmers’ perceptions and strategies for adaptation to climate change in Brong Ahafo and Upper West Regions of Ghana. CCAFS Working Paper no. 207. Wageningen, the Netherlands: CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS).