The 3rd Global Conference on Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Security and Climate Change will be held from 3 to 5 December 2013 in Johannesburg, South Africa and will include high-level discussions on a Climate-Smart Agriculture Alliance.
The Conference is organized by the governments of the Republic of South Africa, the Netherlands, and in collaboration with other partners, including the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), the World Bank and the CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS).
The 3rd Global Conference in South Africa will provide the platform for global leaders; practitioners; scientists; farmers; organized agriculture; civil society; the private sector; and NGOs to discuss and share experiences on successes, and to deliberate the challenges and threats to food and nutrition security under the impact of climate change.
The purpose of the Conference is to:
- Promote a Climate – Smart Agriculture Alliance;
- Share knowledge, information and good practices among public, private and civil society stakeholders;
- Promote the mainstreaming and up-scaling of climate-smart agriculture within the broader development goals;
- Facilitate the implementation of concrete actions linking agriculture-related investments, policies, and measures with the transition to climate – smart agriculture ;
- Build global partnerships for resilience of agriculture, forestry and fisheries to climate change;
- Promote the application of scientific solutions, information and policies conducive to increased and sustainable agricultural production yields, productivity and sustainable development;
- Explore and share knowledge and responses of agriculture to climate change with emphasis on climate-smart agriculture; low carbon farming practices; conservation and new technological approaches conducive to productivity, adaptation and mitigation.
Themes for the 3rd Global Conference are the following:
- Food and nutrition security in the face of climate change;
- Improving food security and poverty alleviation through production systems;
- Understanding the link between agriculture-related investments, policies, and measures with climate smart agriculture.
CCAFS Director Bruce Campbell and CCAFS Head of Research Sonja Vermeulen will be speaking at the event. The full program is available at the conference website.