All projects, Regions and Flagships under the CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS), and CCAFS as a whole, have a responsibility to monitor and evaluate their management and progress towards outcomes and impacts.
The figure below shows the “results chain”. Much of the CCAFS assessment work is designed to cover the link between research and outcomes, but there are also impact assessments and various kinds of reviews of management.
There are three different types of evaluations that CCAFS utilizes:
Reviews conducted by donors, the consortium, auditors and the Internal Evaluation Arrangement (IEA)
- Review of CCAFS Scaling Activities (2019) / management response
- IEA external review (June 2016) / management response
- Feinstein ON. 2015. Theme 2 review on climate information services activities / management response
- Climate Futures. 2014. Review of capacity enhancement activities
- Consortium-facilitated partnership survey (2013)
- EU review of CCAFS (2012) / management response
CRP-Commissioned External Reviews (CCERs)
These are commissioned through the CCAFS Independent Steering Committee (ISC) or CIAT Board
1) EU Review of CCAFS West and East Africa Regional Programs (2018)
2) Theme 3 review (2014)
3) Management and governance review (2013)
4) Review of CCAFS Theme by region matrix management (2013)
- Haman M, Hertzum M. 2018. Collaboration in a distributed research program: Islands of intensity in a sea of minimal interaction. Journal of Documentation 75(2):334-348
- Aryal JP, Mehrotra MB, Jat ML, Sidhu HS. 2015. Impacts of laser land leveling in rice–wheat systems of the north–western indo-gangetic plains of India. Food Security.
- Murendo C, Wollni M. 2015. Ex-post Impact Assessment of Fertilizer Microdosing as a Climate-Smart Technology in Sub-Saharan Africa / management response
- Reddy VR. 2015. Ex-post Impact Assessment of the Study: 'Impact of Climate Change on Water Resources and Agriculture in Sri Lanka' / management response
- Gill, G. 2014. An Assessment of the Impact of Laser-Assisted Precision Land Levelling Technology as a Component of Climate-Smart Agriculture in the State of Haryana, India / management response
- Hariharan VK, Mittal S, Rai M, Agarwal T, Kalvaniya KC, Stirling CM, Jat ML. 2018. Does climate-smart village approach influence gender equality in farming households?
- Ekong J. 2018. Review of the Learning Alliance for Adaptation in Smallholder Agriculture. CCAFS Report. CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS).
- Manfre C, Laytham W. 2018. CIAT case study on data-driven agronomy (USAID Feed the Future)
- Abdoulaye T, Bamire AS, Akinola AA, Etwire PM. 2017. Smallholder farmers’ perceptions and strategies for adaptation to climate change in Brong Ahafo and Upper West Regions of Ghana. CCAFS Working Paper no. 207. Wageningen, the Netherlands: CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS).
- Rassmann K, Schuetz T. 2017. An assessment of the influence of CCAFS' climate data and tools on outcomes achieved 2010-2016. Report from an Outcome Harvesting evaluation
- Camacho K. 2016. Case study elaborated with the outcome harvesting methodology: Local Technical Agro-climatic Committees
- Nyangaga J. 2016. How CIAT’s climate research informs and influences decision making in IFAD and the cocoa and coffee sector globally: An outcomes validation report
- Blundo Canto G, Perez L, Zuluaga Gonzalez V, Läderach P. 2015. CIAT research on improving livelihoods of smallholder coffee producers in Nicaragua / management response
- Ekong J. 2015. IITA outcome on coffee-banana systems in East Africa
- Georgis K. 2015. Planning national adaptation responses to climate change in Ethiopia (CIMMYT)
- Kalfagianni A, Duyck S. 2015. The evolving role of agriculture in climate change negotiations: Progress and players
- Lo HM, Dieng M. 2015. Communicating seasonal climate forecasts in Senegal / management response
- Nelson S, Brown V, Cuellar E, Fox K. 2015. Evaluation of CCAFS Data and Tools
- Okner T. 2015. CCAFS role in Global Alliance for Climate Smart Agriculture
- St Louis B, Gupta V, Roberge G. 2015. CGIAR citations in IPCC reports: a summary report
- 2014. Assessment of Shamba Shape Up activities
- Carey C. 2014. Review of CCAFS Scenarios activities
- Wilson-Grau R. 2014. Validation Report: outcome stories for CIAT-CCAFS projects in Colombia during 2014 / management response
- Scenarios-facilitated policy outcomes - forthcoming