All projects, regions and flagships under CCAFS, and CCAFS as a whole, have a responsibility to monitor and evaluate their management and progress towards outcomes and impacts.
The figure below shows the “results chain”. Much of the CCAFS assessment work is designed to cover the link between research and outcomes, but there are also impact assessments and various kinds of reviews of management.
There are four different types of impact assessment studies that CCAFS utilizes:
Reviews conducted by donors, the consortium, auditors and the Internal Evaluation Arrangement (IEA)
- EU review of CCAFS (2012) / management response
- Consortium-facilitated partnership survey (2013)
- Internal audit (2015) - forthcoming
- IEA external review (June 2016) / Management response
CRP-Commissioned External Reviews (CCERs).
These are commissioned through the CCAFS Independent Science Panel (ISP) or CIAT Board
1) Management and governance review (2013)
2) Review of CCAFS Theme by region matrix management (2013)
3) Theme 3 review (2014)
Core Team Commissioned Reviews
They are commissioned by PMC, Theme Leaders, Regional Program Leaders and the Coordinating Unit
1) Theme and topic reviews
- 2014. Assessment of Shamba Shape Up activities
- Carey C. 2014. Review of CCAFS Scenarios activities
- Feinstein ON. 2015. Theme 2 review on climate information services activities / Management Response
- Climate Futures. 2014. Review of capacity enhancement activities
- East African partnerships (2014) - forthcoming
Nelson S, Brown V, Cuellar E, Fox K. 2015. Evaluation of CCAFS Data and Tools
- St Louis B, Gupta V, Roberge G. 2015. CGIAR citations in IPCC reports: a summary report
2) Reviews on CCAFS/Centre claims on outcome successes
- Nyangaga J. 2016. How CIAT’s climate research informs and influences decision making in IFAD and the cocoa and coffee sector globally: An outcomes validation report.
- Georgis K. 2015. Planning national adaptation responses to climate change in Ethiopia (CIMMYT)
- Ekong J. 2015. IITA outcome on coffee-banana systems in East Africa
- Scenarios-facilitated policy outcomes - forthcoming
- Okner T. 2015. CCAFS role in Global Alliance for Climate Smart Agriculture
- Lo HM, Dieng M. 2015. Communicating seasonal climate forecasts in Senegal / Management Response
- Kalfagianni A, Duyck S. 2015. The evolving role of agriculture in climate change negotiations: Progress and players
- Wilson-Grau R. 2014. Validation Report: outcome stories for CIAT-CCAFS projects in Colombia during 2014 / Management Response
Center-commissioned reviews, including impact studies as required by the contract between CIAT and participating Centres.
- Gill, G. 2014. An Assessment of the Impact of Laser-Assisted Precision Land Levelling Technology as a Component of Climate-Smart Agriculture in the State of Haryana, India / Management Response
- Aryal JP, Mehrotra MB, Jat ML, Sidhu HS. 2015. Impacts of laser land leveling in rice–wheat systems of the north–western indo-gangetic plains of India. Food Security.
- Murendo C, Wollni M. 2015. Ex-post Impact Assessment of Fertilizer Microdosing as a Climate-Smart Technology in Sub-Saharan Africa / Management Response
- Reddy VR. 2015. Ex-post Impact Assessment of the Study: 'Impact of Climate Change on Water Resources and Agriculture in Sri Lanka' / Management response
Blundo Canto G, Perez L, Zuluaga Gonzalez V, Läderach P. 2015. CIAT research on improving livelihoods of smallholder coffee producers in Nicaragua / Management Response
- Smallholders’ Perception and Adaptation Strategies to Climate Change Ghana (IITA, 2015) - forthcoming