CCAFS is coordinating with Chinese and international partners on two research projects related to livestock in China in 2018-2019.
Carbon Footprint Assessment and Mitigation Options of Dairy under Chinese Conditions
Chinese and Dutch research institutions, CCAFS and the private sector are working together to identify locally relevant sustainable dairy practices, especially from novel feeds, and provide accurate estimates of emissions and emission reduction options from changes in dairy practices. The expectation is that global best practices and feed innovations, such as lignin degradation of maize or rice straw, will help reduce emissions from dairy in china.
Together, the team will develop a model and tool that can evaluate the carbon footprint of dairy cattle and provide information about which practices can reduce the carbon footprint and simultaneously benefit farmers, consumers, and the environment.
Tier 2 MRV of Livestock Emissions in China: Developing Guidance for Implementation at the Provincial Level
Partners in this project aim to develop practical guidance and build capacity in advanced (Tier 2) methods to improve measurement, reporting and verification (MRV) of greenhouse gas emissions and emission reductions at the province level. The project focuses on major livestock-producing provinces and important livestock categories, including enteric fermentation and manure management from dairy cattle and pigs. Newly developed methods and systems for Tier 2 MRV of livestock emissions will be tested in Hebei Province, China, using results to develop methods that can be used to support Tier 2 MRV elsewhere.
In April 2019, experts and project partners, including officials from ministries of agriculture and rural affairs, environmental protection, and statistics, greenhouse gas inventory, and regions with important livestock populations, commented on a draft guideline. Publication is expected later this year.
The “Consultation workshop on Tier 2 MRV of livestock emissions in China: Developing Guidance for Implementation at the Provincial Level", in April 2019, featured reports on the progress of China’s guidelines for livestock MRV.
- Marion De Vries. 2019. Examples of mitigation strategies in the Dutch dairy sector. Presentation. January 15.
- Marion De Vries, Jelle Zijlstra. 2019. CCAFS project low emissions development of the Chinese dairy sector. Presentation. January 15.
- Dong Hongmin. 2018. Activity data collection for Tier 2 estimates of livestock emissions in China. Presentation. July 17.
- Dong Hongmin. 2018. Tier 2 MRV of livestock emissions in China: Developing guidance for implementation at the provincial level. Presentation. October 12.
- Dong Hongmin. 2018. Carbon footprint assessment and mitigation options of dairy under Chinese conditions - Implementation plan. Presentation. October 16.
- Kees de Koning, Marion de Vries. 2018. Carbon footprint assessment and mitigation options of dairy under Chinese conditions. Presentation. October 16.
- Lini Wollenberg. 2018. Overview of CCAFS and impact of dairy on climate in China. Presentation. October 16.
- Julianna White. 2018. China takes action on climate change in agriculture. Blog. November 16.
- CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS)
- China Agricultural University (CAU)
- Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences (CAAS)
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
- Global Research Alliance for Agricultural Greenhouse Gases (GRA)
- Hebei Green Agriculture Limited Company
- Hebei Provincial Livestock Technology Extension Station
- National Center on Climate Change Strategy and International Cooperation (NCSC)
- Sino-Dutch Dairy Development Corporation (SDDDC)
- United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
- Wageningen University & Research (WUR)