Join us to learn about recent analyses of lower emission livestock production options in East Africa and how this can translate into improved incomes for farmers.
A video and presentations from this webinar are now available.
Video: Watch and listen to Can we reduce GHG emissions from livestock? A feasibility and investment study from East Africa
- Lini Wollenberg: Overview of the livestock sector in East Africa
- Polly Ericksen: Low emission investment options for the dairy sector: The case of improved fodder production
- Todd Crane: Understanding pathways toward low emissions livestock: Evidence from Kenya and Tanzania
Livestock production is the largest source of emissions from agriculture. In East Africa, livestock is essential to livelihoods and food security, but the sector is hampered by low productivity and high emission intensity.
This combination of economic importance and high emissions in East Africa makes the livestock sector a priority for assessing low emissions development options and strategies.
The webinar will present an overview of the livestock sector in East Africa, including climate finance options, the feasibility of ten low emissions development (LED) interventions, and an investment study on one of the most promising options: improving availability of quality feeds for the smallholder dairy sub-sector, specifically through improving forages. The second half of the webinar will feature questions and discussion.
Topics and expert speakers are:
- Overview of the livestock sector in East Africa - emissions, gender, livelihoods, food security, estimated growth, NDCs and climate financing (Lini Wollenberg, CCAFS)
- Feasibility and investment options in Kenya, gender considerations, specific policy and financing options going forward (Polly Ericksen, ILRI)
- Understanding pathways toward low-emissions livestock: evidence from Kenya and Tanzania (Todd Crane, ILRI)
- Discussion and questions, facilitated by Lini Wollenberg
Please join us on Wednesday, 10 July 2019, 9-10am Washington, DC, 3-4pm Paris, 4-5pm Nairobi
Register for the webinar here. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
This is part of a webinar series presenting recent land use and climate research by the CGIAR and supported by USAID’s Office of Global Climate Change.
Read the analyses and related materials
- Report: The feasibility of low emissions development interventions for the East African livestock sector: Lessons from Kenya and Ethiopia
- Report: Cost–benefit analysis of fodder production as a low emissions development strategy for the Kenyan dairy sector
- Blog: Investing in low emissions development strategies in the dairy sector: Viable options for Kenya and Ethiopia
- Article: Gender power in Kenyan dairy: Cows, commodities, and commercialization
- Report: Climate change mitigation and food loss and waste (FLW) reduction: Exploring the business case
- Webpage: Invest in climate change mitigation and agriculture